In August we added the option in spatial queries to get the Geocode by address.
We already did something like that in the “Events” page in the RavenDB website and It was quite easy with the Google Maps API.
However when we tried to implement it in the studio we discovered that to do that in Silverlight is not as simple.
Apparently in order to get Google API to work with Silverlight you need to set a bridge server that has the appropriate clientaccesspolicy.xml because the settings on the Google API server does not match the permissions required for Silverlight.
So we looked for another service that has the settings that allowed to work with Silverlight without any complications, what we found is that the Yahoo! Maps Geocoding does just that.
The setting of the Yahoo API was even easier then Google’s and is done like this:
As you can see it is simply a web request with a default url with the addition of the address
For mode information about the Yahoo geocode API: http://developer.yahoo.com/maps/rest/V1/geocode.html